To drain an ao smith water heater, first turn off the power and gas supply, then connect a hose to the drain valve and route it to a floor drain or outside area. Next, open the pressure relief valve and drain valve to allow the water to flow out.
Ao smith water heaters are known for their quality and reliability, but they still require maintenance and occasional draining. Draining the water heater is an important part of this maintenance, as it helps to remove sediment and debris that can build up inside the tank over time.
This buildup can cause the heater to work less efficiently, and it may even lead to serious damage or leaks if left unchecked. In this article, we’ll explain how to drain an ao smith water heater safely and easily, step by step.
Things To Consider Before Draining Your Ao Smith Water Heater
If you own an ao smith water heater, eventually you will have to drain it. Regular draining of your water heater is essential for its smooth operation and to extend its lifespan. Before you drain your ao smith water heater, there are several things you need to consider.
We discuss the key factors to keep in mind before draining your ao smith water heater.
Importance Of Following Safety Measures
Although draining your ao smith water heater is a fairly simple process, it’s crucial to follow safety measures before you commence work. Here are the key safety measures to keep in mind:
- Turn off the electrical power or gas supply to your water heater before draining.
- Wear appropriate safety gear including gloves, eyewear, and protective clothing.
- Use a fire extinguisher and have a first-aid kit nearby in case of an emergency.
- Make sure the drain valve and tubing are positioned safely to direct the hot water to a safe area.
Tools And Materials Needed
Before draining your ao smith water heater, you should have the necessary tools and materials on hand to make the process easier. Here are the items you will need:
- A hose and a bucket or a drain valve.
- Wrenches or pliers – large and adjustable versions for the drain valve.
- Several towels and cloths to clean up spills.
Preparation Required Before Draining
There are some critical steps to prepare your ao smith water heater for draining. These steps are:
- Turn off the electrical power supply or gas supply to your water heater.
- Allow the water to cool down before you commence work. If you don’t wait, you risk getting burnt by the hot water.
- Shut down the water supply to prevent more water from filling your water heater.
- Locate the drain valve and attach a hose to it. Alternatively, you can direct the water into a bucket. Remember that the discharged water may contain sediments, so it’s not suitable for drinking.
- Position the hose or bucket in a safe area where hot water won’t be redirected back to you.
- Once the water heater is completely drained, detach the hose or remove the bucket.
- Close the drain valve and turn on the water supply to the heater to refill it.
- Turn on the electrical power or gas supply once you’re sure there’s no air in the tank.
With these tips, you are well equipped to drain your ao smith water heater safely and efficiently. Regular draining of your water heater ensures its long-lasting performance and reduces the risk of damage. Always remember to follow safety measures before, during, and after the draining process to ensure accidents don’t occur.
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Drain Your Ao Smith Water Heater
Switching Off The Power Supply
Before starting to drain your ao smith water heater, you need to turn off the power supply. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- Turn off the breaker or switch that powers the water heater to avoid the risk of electric shock.
- For safety purposes, confirm that there is no power supply to the heater before starting the draining process.
Shutting Off The Cold Water Supply
After turning off the power supply, the next step is to shut off the cold water supply going to the ao smith water heater. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- Locate the cold-water valve to the heater and turn it off.
- Confirm that the valve is entirely shut off.
- Attach a hose to the drain valve and ensure that the other end of the hose leads outside or into a drain for wastewater to flow.
Attaching The Garden Hose And Opening The Drain Valve
The following step is to attach a garden hose to the drain valve. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- Connect a garden hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the heater. The hose will help to divert the sediment-filled water.
- Place the other hose end where the water can drain safely and secure it tightly.
- Open the drain valve slowly, allowing the water to flow out through the hose.
Flushing Out Any Sediment Or Debris
As the water drains out, sediment and debris will come out with it. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- Let the water drain completely from the tank.
- Leave the drain valve open and turn on the cold-water supply valve for a few seconds to flush out any remaining debris thoroughly.
- Repeat the cleaning process until the drained water runs clear.
Refilling The Water Heater
When all the sediment and debris have been flushed out, the tank must be refilled. Here is what you need to do:
- Close the drain valve and disconnect the garden hose.
- Remove the aerator from the closest hot-water faucet and turn on the hot water.
- Turn on the cold water supply valve and let the water flow through the tank.
- Allow water to run through the faucet until there is no more air in the line.
Turning The Power Supply Back On
Now that the water heater is drained, cleaned, and refilled, the final step is to turn the power supply back on. Here is what you need to do:
- Close the faucet and turn on the power supply to the heater.
- Be sure the power supply is securely connected before restoring power
- Confirm the water heater is working efficiently again. Enjoy the freshly cleaned water running through your tank.
By following each step in this guide to drain your ao smith water heater, you can do it safely and efficiently avoiding any future problems.
Additional Tips For Maintaining Your Ao Smith Water Heater
Regular maintenance keeps your ao smith water heater working like a charm. In this section, we’ll walk you through some helpful tips to ensure your water heater runs smoothly for years to come.
How Often To Drain Your Water Heater
Draining your water heater is essential for flushing out the sediment that builds up over time, which can affect its performance. We recommend draining your ao smith water heater once a year, especially if it’s an older model. Here’s how you can do it:
- Turn off the power supply (electric or gas) to the water heater.
- Connect a hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank.
- Run the other end of the hose outside or to a drain.
- Open the drain valve and let the water flow out.
- Once all the water has drained, close the valve, disconnect the hose, and turn on the water supply.
Checking For Leaks
Inspecting your ao smith water heater for leaks regularly can prevent costly property damage and potential health hazards. Follow these steps to check for leaks:
- Look for any visible leaks at the base or top of the water heater tank.
- Check the hot and cold water connections for any signs of moisture or corrosion.
- Check the temperature and pressure relief valve (t&p) for leaks and proper operation by lifting the lever and letting it snap back into place.
- Inspect the drain valve for any leaks or corrosion.
Insulating The Water Heater
Insulating your ao smith water heater can help improve its energy efficiency and save on heating costs. Here’s how you can insulate your water heater:
- Purchase an insulation blanket suitable for your water heater’s size and shape.
- Turn off the power supply (electric or gas) to the water heater.
- Cut the insulation blanket to fit around your water heater.
- Wrap the blanket around the tank, leaving the top and bottom uncovered to allow airflow to the t&p valve and temperature controls.
- Secure the blanket with tape or wire.
- Turn the power supply back on.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your ao smith water heater in tip-top condition and get the most out of your investment. Keep in mind that regular maintenance can not only extend the life of your water heater but also ensure safe and reliable operation.
Draining your ao smith water heater may seem like a daunting task, but with the right knowledge and tools, it can be done with ease. By following the step-by-step guide mentioned in this article, you can save yourself from costly repairs and enhance the lifespan of your water heater.
In addition to that, you can also save money on your energy bills by ensuring that your water heater is operating efficiently. Remember to always turn off the power supply and allow the water to cool before starting the draining process.
Regular maintenance and flushing of your water heater can prevent sediment buildup and maintain the quality of your water. So, make sure to add this crucial task to your home maintenance checklist and keep your water heating performing well for years to come!