Oil space heaters are efficient home heating appliances that use fuel oil to generate heat. These heaters come in various shapes and sizes and offer significant comfort during winter months.
They are cost-effective and offer a quick heating solution to any cold room in your home. The heater works by heating up oil in a tank and distributing it to the heating element before the warm air is circulated through your home.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the basics of oil space heaters, their benefits, and how they work, so you can make an informed decision when choosing a heating solution for your home.
What Are Oil Space Heaters?
Oil space heaters are a popular way to keep indoor areas warm and cozy. These heaters use oil as a fuel source to generate heat. In this guide, we’ll explore what oil space heaters are, how they work, their advantages and disadvantages, and the difference between oil space heaters and other heating options.
So, let’s get started!
Definition Of Oil Space Heaters
Oil space heaters are heaters that use oil as the main fuel source to generate heat. They come in various shapes and sizes, from small portable heaters to large room heaters. The oil inside the heater is heated by an electric heating element or a flame, which then radiates heat into the surrounding area.
How Do Oil Space Heaters Work?
Oil space heaters work by using electricity to heat the oil inside the heater. The heat generated from the oil is then radiated into the room. Here’s how they work:
- The oil is poured into a reservoir inside the heater
- The heater is plugged into an electric outlet
- The heater’s heating element or flame heats the oil
- The heated oil circulates through the heater and radiates heat into the room
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Oil Space Heaters
Like with every other heating option, oil space heaters have their advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of them:
- They’re inexpensive compared to other heating options
- They’re portable and can be moved from room to room
- They provide heat quickly
- They can operate during power outages
- They require a power outlet to run
- They take some time to heat up
- The oil inside the heater needs to be refilled periodically
- They can be a fire hazard if not used properly
Difference Between Oil Space Heaters & Other Heating Options
While oil space heaters are a popular way of heating indoor areas, they’re not the only option available. Here are the differences between oil space heaters and other heating options:
- Electric heaters: Electric heaters use electricity as the main fuel source to generate heat. They’re smaller than oil space heaters and don’t require any refilling; however, they’re more expensive to run.
- Gas heaters: Gas heaters use either propane or natural gas as the fuel source. They’re more powerful than oil space heaters and heat up a room faster. However, they’re not portable and require a gas line to operate.
- Wood-burning heaters: Wood-burning heaters use wood as the main fuel source to generate heat. They’re more eco-friendly and provide a lovely ambiance. However, they require frequent cleaning, and the fire needs to be maintained.
Oil space heaters are a practical and affordable way to keep indoor areas warm during the cold months. By understanding their unique characteristics, you can make an informed decision that suits your needs and budget.
Types Of Oil Space Heaters
Oil space heaters provide a convenient and cost-efficient way to keep your home, office, or any other living spaces warm. They are also portable and can be moved from room to room. However, with so many different types of oil space heaters on the market, it can be challenging to know which one is right for your needs.
We will cover the three main types of oil space heaters: radiant, convection, and fan-forced. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages which we will explore further below.
Radiant Oil Space Heaters
Radiant oil space heaters work by radiating heat outwards from the heater. These types of heaters are best for small spaces because they only heat up the objects directly in front of them rather than the entire room. Here are key points you need to know about radiant oil space heaters:
- Radiant oil space heaters are ideal for heating small spaces.
- They produce instant heat.
- They consume less energy compared to other types since they only heat the objects in their direct line of sight.
Convection Oil Space Heaters
Convection oil space heaters are designed to heat up the entire room by circulating air through the heater and into the surrounding space. They use a heating element and a fan to draw cold air into the heater, warm it up, and then circulate the heated air back into the room.
Here are some key points to remember about convection oil space heaters:
- Convection oil space heaters can heat up large spaces quickly and efficiently.
- They are relatively quiet while operating since they don’t require a fan to run continually.
- They distribute heat evenly across the entire room.
Fan-Forced Oil Space Heaters
Fan-forced oil space heaters are the most effective type of oil space heater for rapidly heating large spaces. They use a fan to force hot air into the surrounding area, making them ideal for living rooms, bedrooms, or larger office spaces.
Here are some key points to keep in mind about fan-forced oil space heaters:
- Fan-forced oil space heaters are ideal for larger living spaces.
- They heat up rooms quickly.
- They have fans that distribute warm air throughout the entire room.
Radiant, convection, and fan-forced oil space heaters have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Consider the size of the room and how quickly you need to heat it when choosing the best oil space heater for your needs. Now that you have a better idea of the types of oil space heaters available, you can make an informed decision and stay comfortable and warm throughout the colder seasons.
How To Choose The Best Oil Space Heater For Your Home
Considerations Before Buying An Oil Space Heater
Before purchasing the best oil space heater for your home, there are several essential factors that you need to consider. Here are some of the considerations to keep in mind:
- Size of the room: You need to consider the size of the room where you plan to use the oil space heater. The heater’s heating capacity should be proportional to the size of the space. Choose a higher heating capacity if the room is bigger.
- Heating capacity: The heating capacity of an oil space heater is measured in btus (british thermal units). Take note of the btus needed to heat the room properly.
- Energy efficiency: Always go for an energy-efficient oil space heater to minimize energy consumption and save money.
- Safety features: Look for oil space heaters with safety features like overheat protection, tip-over switch, and automatic shut off. These features are critical and can provide peace of mind.
- Budget: Price is a crucial factor in buying an oil space heater. Always choose a heater that suits your budget while offering the reliability and quality features you need.
Top Brands Of Oil Space Heaters
Now that you know the critical considerations before buying an oil space heater let’s take a look at the top brands in the market that offer the best oil space heaters:
- Delonghi: This brand is known for producing high-quality oil space heaters with reliable features that guarantee comfortable and safe heating.
- Honeywell: Honeywell is a well-known name in the heating industry, and their oil space heaters are no exception. They offer excellent heating capacity, energy efficiency, and safety features.
- Dyna-glo: This brand is famous for producing reliable and sturdy oil space heaters that can heat large spaces.
- Comfort zone: Comfort zone offers portable oil space heaters that are energy efficient and reliable. They have adjustable thermostats, which the user can set depending on their preferences.
Installation And Maintenance Of Oil Space Heaters
Once you purchase your oil space heater for your home, you need to consider installation and maintenance. Here are some tips on installing and maintaining your heater:
- Installation: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing an oil space heater. Make sure it is placed on a flat surface, away from furniture and flammable materials.
- Maintenance: Always clean your oil space heater regularly to ensure optimal performance and safety. Remove dust and debris from the surface and always change the oil when needed.
Finding the best oil space heater for your home takes some careful considerations, research, and analysis. You can never go wrong by purchasing from the top brands in the market. Finally, ensure that you install and maintain your heater correctly to enjoy long-lasting performance and safe operation.
After going through this introduction to oil space heaters, it is quite understandable that these devices are highly efficient and perfect for your space heating needs. They are portable, easy to use, and provide instant heat. Additionally, oil-filled heaters are safe to use, and their energy efficiency helps reduce energy bills and conserves the environment.
To make the best use of your oil-filled space heaters, ensure that you get the right sizing, choose heaters with programmable thermostats, and use them in a well-ventilated space. Also, ensure to carry out routine maintenance checks and proper storage.
Having an oil-filled space heater is a wise investment that provides warmth and comfort during the cold months, enabling you to save on energy bills while staying safe and environmentally conscious. Investing in a good oil-filled space heater is a good choice for people seeking long-term solutions for their heating needs.